Since it’s the beginning of a new year, it’s a time to reflect on the last one. I wanted to just share some things I’ve learned about myself & life this past year. Things haven’t been all rainbows & roses, but I’m thankful that I got to have another year on this earth & I’m excited to see what this new one has in store. Let me know in the comments what lessons you’ve learned this year & what you’re most excited about for the year to come.
1. God is amazing. I’ve been through so many ups & downs in the past 2 years, but this is the year I’ve truly come to realize how amazing God really is. He’s lifted me up when I’ve been down, and brought me down a few notches when I felt I was invincible. I’ve experienced so much patience & forgiveness & mercy in the past year that I’m so thankful for.
2. Family is everything. I’ve been so blessed to always live beside of my family & be close to them. My cousins are my best friends & I can’t imagine life without my parents. I’ve needed to lean on my family a lot in the past year so it’s nice to know that I can always depend on them.
3. Follow your dreams. I wanted to start a blog for a long time, but didn’t want people to think I was stupid. I was scared no one would read it & that it would be horrible, but I finally started it & I’m so happy I did. This is a hobby for me & I’ve enjoyed it so much so far. I can’t wait to see where it goes in the future and I’m so thankful for all of the wonderful friends I’ve “met” all over the world through this blog. NEVER give up on something just because you’re scared of what people will think, always do what will make you happy. You need to look out for yourself & your best interests because no one else is going to. DREAM BIG. 🙂
4. Be happy with who you are. I went through a breakup 2 years ago & it’s still affected me to this day because I’ve had a hard time getting over it. I’m way better off & deserve so much more, but you know when you get your heart broken the first time it’s a doozy. I’ve had so many people tell me that since I’m already 23 my dating pool is growing slim & I’m going to be an old maid. I think that’s absolutely ridiculous & my way of thinking is that if God has someone meant for me then I will meet them when the time is right & I’m ready. & ya know what? I don’t need to date someone to be happy. In that last relationship I lost who I was & I’ve had 2 years to find myself again. I’m getting happier everyday & enjoying finding things out about myself. You do NOT need a man (or woman) to be happy because you cannot expect someone to be your happiness.. you have to learn how to be happy on your own first.
5. Hard work pays off. If you’ve read my “About Me” section then you know I’m an accountant. I just graduated from college in May of 2013 and about 2 months later I started working full-time at a job in my hometown. I was assisting the CFO with things he needed help finishing & such, but then 3 weeks after I started I took his place. I was absolutely scared to death because I had no experience & had no clue what I was doing. But I wasn’t afraid to ask for help & I did my research. Now, about a year & a half later I feel so much more confident with things. I worked hard & I have a great job for someone my age & for where I live. Never stop learning & trying because you never know where it might take you.
6. Never stop bettering yourself. I’ve learned that you can never stop improving yourself. It’s one thing to change a habit or two here & there, but you can always be better. I’ve got so many things that I want to do & be, but sometimes I get frustrated & don’t think I can do it, but I can. There’s always more to learn & more to do, so never stop trying to be a better you.
7. Lift people up. This is something I’ve always had problems with. Girls are especially worse I believe with trying to tear each other down. If you think a girl is prettier, skinnier, smarter, more popular, etc. than you, you automatically want to bring her down so you feel better about yourself. But we are all unique & wonderful in our own ways and don’t need to tear each other down to make ourselves feel good. The world brings us down enough, we need to start lifting each other up & encouraging one another. Life is not a competition, if someone gets dealt a good hand, you should be happy for them.. Things could always be worse.
8. Forget the haters. If we’re all being honest with ourselves, we have at least one person in this world that doesn’t like us very much.. Maybe we wronged them in some way, or maybe it’s just them being jealous & petty. I don’t know about you, but I’m tired of caring what people think or whether everyone likes me or not. As long as I’m doing what’s best for me & makes me happy & not being a total jerk, I don’t care what anyone thinks. Sometimes people just aren’t going to like you, and that’s ok.
9. Smile & be kind. I really enjoy smiling… something about it just makes me feel good. Even if I am having a bad day, I try to find a way to smile because then my day gets just a tiny bit better. Smiling is good for you, laughing especially. & it’s always important to smile at other people & be nice because you never know what someone is going through. The fact that you smile at someone or say hello to them may just completely change their entire day from bad to good. People suffer on the inside without others knowing, so a nice gesture might make all the difference.
10. Surround yourself with positive people. Who you spend your time with determines how you act & live your life. If you spend your time with negative people who have no worth ethic, who don’t care about others, who have no goals, who party constantly, etc. then that’s exactly how you are going to be. But on the other hand, if you surround yourself with people who work hard, who have dreams & aspirations, who are kind & selfless, who are positive & supportive, etc. then that’s how you will be too. It’s so nice to have people you can talk to that will build you up & help you appreciate life a little more. This world is awful sometimes & there are enough negative people & things to deal with so I try not to be around that sort of thing if I don’t have to be.
11. Stop worrying & start living. This has always been my biggest challenge for as long as I can remember. I’ve always worried about absolutely everything.. to the point of making myself sick on many occasions. I still worry, but I’m tired of stressing over things that are out of my control. Worrying honestly takes the fun out of life and this life is too short to be worrying about things all the time. I’ve let so much pass me by because I wasn’t enjoying life. But not anymore! 🙂
12. Stop living in the past/future. This is also a big one for me.. I’ve got a lot of things in my past that I relive. I’ve said many times that I would like to go back & change so many things or completely erase them, but I really don’t wish that. Even though some crappy things have happened, it’s helped me grow & learn. Our past helps shape us into who we are now, good or bad. You can let your past define you & never move forward, or you can try to get over it & make your present the best it can be. It’s bad to live in the past, but it’s also bad to constantly think about the future. I know we’re a curious people & like to think about what life will be like for us in 5 or 10 years, but you risk missing out on so many things by doing that. Just live in the here & now and enjoy it.
13. Believe in yourself. This kind of goes along with following your dreams… Never let anyone tell you that you can’t do something. There are so many things that I still want to do, but people like to discourage me. I would love to visit New York & Europe one day, but people try to talk me out of it. I would love to one day be able to live out my dream & do something with fashion & makeup, but no one believes that would ever happen either. People’s dreams come true everyday & there’s no reason why mine can’t. Hard work & dedication can get you anywhere in life.
14. Keep the faith. This has also been one of my biggest problems.. I have been a Christian for a long time, but I’ve never let myself fully trust in God & believe that He is working things out for me. I am constantly trying to handle things on my own and that’s when things go wrong. I know I personally need to put more trust in God & focus on living for Him instead of myself. His plans are greater than my plans & that should make me feel at peace. It’s wonderful knowing I have an almighty God looking out for me & helping me along the way.